My new pad in Cville

My new pad in Cville

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday funday

After a short hiatus from blogging, I'm back.  A few of you have asked how you sign up for the blog.  I believe if you scroll all the way down to the very bottom there is a link.  It says something like Subscribe to Post or something like that.  Maybe?  Maybe not.

So did you know that that Northern Kentucky and Southern Indiana is referred to as Kentuckiana?  I didn't know that until I was watching the local news and they were talking about a storm in that part of the country.  Maybe I'm living under a rock, but I have never heard of that.   Anyone?  Pretty funny.

C'ville is not a dry town, nor is it wet.  It is what they call moist.  The only place you can get a drink around here is at a restaurant that serves more than 50 people.  I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before or not.  Well there are even more rules.  Alcohol can only be 25% of a restaurant's profits.  I went to happy hour on Friday with a few colleagues and discovered more laws.  So as you order your drinks, they require you to order food.  So we ordered appetizers as we went and eventually the apps just sat on the table.  And then at some point, the waitress cut us off because we stopped eating the food.  So we were cut off after about 3 beers. One of the guys from work offered to take me out next weekend to the next town over to experience a real honky tonk bar.

So what else happened last week?  Hmmm.  It was hot again, really hot.  Spent about 4 days crawling around on the floor and in a bunch of meetings.  The one thing that I have noticed is that there is always food around.  Apparently at peak season they created a room full of food for the managers called the food closet since most of them don't get a chance to run home and eat.   Hmmm

 Oh - I also learned that fried okra is called the popcorn of the South.  Did you know that?


So at least 3 people on my team of 5 asked me how many kids I had - not if I had kids.  Apparently most women my age have already been married, mothered, and divorced by the time they are my age.  The fact that I have never been married nor have children seem to baffle the minds of the locals.  Apparently the single scene consists of the local university and that's about it.  Lucky me :)


That's about it for now.  It's been a busy work week, so hopefully I will have more time and more stories to share with ya'll next week.  Take care!

No comments: